Monday, June 6, 2011

Coconut & Chocolate & and Cake, Oh My!

Alright, I have to admit that this isn't really an Indian dessert, but it was inspired by the coconut milk that I bought for my cooking.  I found this recipe online, and then added a few of my own touches.  They are amazing!  They are not overpowering with coconut, and are very moist and light! Totally worth staying up last night until 11:30 frosting them!  Of course, now that I know how well they turned out, I may consider added a few surprises next time to "spice" them up, if you know what I mean.  The original recipe called for some sort of homemade cream cheese frosting.  I opted to add an easy touch to this and use canned dark chocolate frosting instead. YUM!

Recipe:
3/4 C. unsalted butter, room temp.                     2 1/4 C. flour
1 1/4 C. sugar                                                         1 tsp. kosher salt
3 eggs, room temp.                                                1 tsp. baking powder
1 C. canned coconut milk                                    1/2 - 3/4 C. coconut
1 tsp. vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Cream butter until light & fluffy.  Add sugar and cream until light & fluffy again, scraping sides half     way through.
3. Add eggs, one at a time. Beat 30 seconds each to ensure mixing.
4. Combine flour, salt & baking powder in a small bowl.
5. In seperate bowl, add well shaken coconut milk and vanilla.
6. Add 1/3 of dry ingredients & mix, then 1/2 of wet ingredients.  Alternate wet & dry, ending with dry.
7. Fold in coconut.
8. Bake 18-22 minutes, rotating after 1st 15 minutes.

P.S. I added a small surprise into some of my cupcakes, a teeny bit of mini chocolate chips in the middle of the batter.  After all the cupcakes were completely cooled, I frosted them, and then dipped half of them into shredded coconut.  Definitely my new favorite!

No comments:

Post a Comment