Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Paleo-ized Shepherd's Pie

My mom and grandma used to always make Sherpherd's Pie.  It is one of my all time favorite meals.  And it's one of the things that I have missed most being Paleo.  But after thinking about it, I realized that I didn't have to.  With the exception of the potatoes, it pretty much already aligns with the Paleo lifestyle.  I've tried making mashed cauliflower before.  It tasted good, but I needed to work on the texture.  Made it with this, and it was probably better than the original - and I didn't miss the potatoes at all.
Keep in mind that we still use dairy, so there is a little milk and cheese in this recipe.


Ingredients
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 - 3/4 chopped onion
1 C. grated carrot
1 can diced tomatoes
1 head of cauliflower
1 clove garlic
2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
Garlic powder
Salt & Pepper
1/3 C Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1/4 Milk


Directions
Rice cauliflower and steam in microwave for about 10 minutes, until soft. 
While cauliflower is steaming, brown ground beef. Add onion, carrot, and garlic - saute until softened.  
Add tomatoes and worcestershire sauce - cook until much of the liquid has evaporated.  About 10 minutes over low heat, covered. 
Once cauliflower is done, add milk and garlic powder.  Mash - an immersion blender works best.  
Add more milk if needed.  Mix in cheese until combined.  
Put beef mixture in baking dish, pat down.  Add mashed cauliflower to the top, spreading evening.  

At this point, I just threw it back in the microwave for another 10 minutes because my oven is out of order.  But you could also put it in the oven for about 20 minutes.  You basically just want to crisp up the top a little.  

No comments:

Post a Comment