Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Chocolate-Mint Ice Cream

   
















                We bought a small ice cream maker on clearance for $15. I've been experimenting with Paleo versions of ice cream.  Chocolate/mint is my favorite, but I couldnt find anything. So I made up my own.  Again, everything is in approximations.  But this was so simple.  This is what you will need:
Blender
Mesh strainer
Ice Cream maker
1 can coconut milk
Fresh mint
Vanilla Extract
Honey
Coco powder
Mini-chocolate chips


So basically, take your can of coconut milk and pour it into a small saucepan.  Put some fresh mint in with it.  I used probably a 1/4 cup off of my mint plant.  Wanted to use more, but the poor thing could only give so much, lol.  Add a tablespoon of vanilla. Simmer it over low heat for about 15 minutes.  Turn off the heat, and let sit for another 15 minutes.  Then put it into the fridge until cold.  Once it is cold, put it through a mesh strainer to catch the mint.  Put milk in blender. I added a teeny bit of regular milk to thin it a little, but this is not necessary.  Add some honey (a couple of tablespoons or so), and a little more vanilla.  Add a couple spoons of coco powder.  Blend.  Pour into frozen ice cream machine bowl.
When it is to your desired frozen consistency, stir in some mini chips.

The ice cream had a very subtle, but noticeable mint flavor to it.  Yum!!! My son keeps asking for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment